The latest local news

Man posts video tour of same room where Las Vegas gunman fired deadly shots

WQAD News -

LAS VEGAS – After realizing he and his wife had stayed in the same Las Vegas suite where gunman Stephen Paddock fired shots at a country festival Sunday night, a North Carolina man posted a video he took of the rooms during their stay last year.

Paddock shot at a crowd of about 22,000 people attending the Route 91 Harvest Festival as country star Jason Aldean was performing, killing 59 people and injuring 527 more.

Related: Las Vegas survivor describes guilt: ‘Did I do enough?’ 

Paddock was in suite 135 on the 32nd floor of the hotel when he unleashed a hailstorm of bullets.

On Monday, Jeff Bridges of Charlotte, North Carolina, posted a video that showed he and his wife’s stay at Mandalay Bay last year.

“Andrea and I stayed in that EXACT same room last year on the 32nd floor! Room 32-135,” the post reads.

The nearly five-minute video narrated by Bridges gives a tour of the suite, including a final look at the concert area.

“The video ironically ends with a view down on the concert area,” Bridges wrote.

Las Vegas survivor describes guilt: ‘Did I do enough?’

WQAD News -

Watch Video

(CNN) — A survivor of Sunday’s Las Vegas massacre says he feels abashed about leaving the music festival unscathed while at least 59 others lost their lives around him in the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history.

“I’m actually feeling a little bit guilty now,” an emotional Brian Claypool said Tuesday on CNN’s “New Day” after seeing footage from the attack.

“I’ve avoided seeing the victims and seeing pictures of people that were killed, and I was there. They’re a lot younger than me and they don’t get to go home. I get to go home today, back to LA to see my daughter, and they don’t.”

He told anchor Chris Cuomo, “I’ve heard heroic acts and I’m now processing, ‘Did I do enough?’ I’m going through some guilt now. Did I help enough people?'”

Claypool, a defense attorney who was in a VIP section at the festival, explained that during the attack he was ushered into “a little room” where he found five or six young women in a corner crying.

He said he hoped he had done enough to keep them calm and had even found himself subconsciously standing in front of them protectively.

Claypool concluded, “I want you to know and your audience to know how beautiful those people were at that festival.”

How to celebrate ‘Mean Girls Day’

WQAD News -

Watch Video

(CNN) — No, you don’t get the day off. But that doesn’t mean that October 3 isn’t a holiday.

The date is known to social media and movie fans around the world as “Mean Girls Day.”

Here’s the backstory: In the popular 2004 film there’s scene where Aaron Samuels (portrayed by Jonathan Bennett) turns to Cady Heron (played by Lindsay Lohan) in class and asks her what day it is.

“It’s October 3,” she answers.

Since then, October 3 has joined other dates made significant by films.

Related: What’s up with the fake movie holidays?

So how should you celebrate it?

Glad you asked:

Try and score some tickets to the “Mean Girls” musical

“30 Rock” funny woman Tina Fey wrote the film and is now blessing the world with a musical version, which is premiering for a five-week run at Washington’s National Theater on October 31 and later heading to Broadway.

Naturally, the tickets go on sale Tuesday.

If you are in New York on October 3, there is a planned celebration at the August Wilson Theatre featuring cheese fries from Sweetery’s.

Eat cheese fries or Taco Bell

Because, see above.

Who can forget the character Regina George’s classic line, “Whatever, I’m getting cheese fries.”

Or her assertion that she couldn’t eat Taco Bell as she was on an “all carb diet.”

Try and make “fetch’ happen

Speaking of Regina George, she was so right when she said fetch isn’t going to happen. But you can still try and give the slang word some love by using it.

Go follow Lindsay Lohan on social media

It’s ok to admit that you are still a little obsessed with the red-headed starlet who went from ingenue to inmate at one point.

Lohan still has love for the movie that helped make her a star. Just a few days ago, she shared an Instagram story of herself re-watching “Mean Girls” to the thrill of her followers.

The actress told CNN last year during a Facebook Live interview that she’s “been trying so hard to do a ‘Mean Girls 2.’ It is not in my hands.”

“I know Tina Fey and Lorne Michaels and all of Paramount are very busy,” Lohan said. “But I will keep forcing it and pushing it on them until we do it.”

Watch the movie

Take a page from Lohan and watch “Mean Girls” in honor of “Mean Girls Day.”

And don’t forget that on Wednesdays we wear pink.

Even after getting shot, Rep. Steve Scalise explains why he’s against gun control

WQAD News -

Watch Video

METAIRIE, LA (WGNO) — Moments after the bullet hit him– seconds after he says his arms could no longer support him as he tried to crawl away– Congressman Steve Scalise heard a comforting sound.

It was the sound of more gunfire, from a different caliber weapon– the kind carried by his own security detail. They were firing back at the gunman.

As the House Majority Whip, Scalise is one of the top leaders in Congress who can count on armed bodyguards for protection. Scalise credits his security team with saving his life in June, by killing the gunman who attacked him at a baseball practice in Alexandria, Virginia.

That’s one reason Scalise says he’s against any kind of new legislation that would limit a person’s ability to carry a gun.

In an interview with WGNO-TV, conducted just one day before the Las Vegas mass shooting that left 59 people dead, Scalise insisted that “every day in this country, people use guns to actually defend themselves against criminals, and those stories don’t get told.”

However, according to the “Violence Policy Center,” vpc.org, a non-profit research group based in Washington, DC, the use of a gun in self-defense is “extremely rare.” In fact, the Center claims that “more guns are stolen each year than are used in self-defense.”

Man receives ‘I love you’ text from wife shot in Las Vegas

WQAD News -

LAS VEGAS - It was a text message no one wants to receive. Shortly after a gunman opened fire and killed 59 and injured 527, one man received messages from his wife saying she had been shot.

Joseph Lambourne was at work when he received a call from his sister-in-law with the news about the mass shooting.

It was immediately followed by a text from his wife Jan that said, "I love you. I've been shot. I love you so much."

"It scared the hell out of me." Lambourne told CTV.

Jan had travelled to Las Vegas from Canada with a friend for the country music festival. They got split up at the concert, and Jan was taken to the hospital by an Army medic.

She was in critical condition but has since been upgraded to stable.

She remains in the hospital where she is undergoing surgery. Her husband is on his way to Las Vegas.

State board says high school coach took wine along to tennis competition

WQAD News -

IOWA FALLS, Iowa (AP) — A state board has scheduled a hearing on a former Iowa Falls-Alden High School tennis coach accused of taking wine to a regional competition.

The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners says 46-year-old Sarah Henle planned to drive students back from a tennis competition in Waterloo this spring after drinking the wine. Henle told The Des Moines Register : “I made an error in judgment and I deeply regret it.” She resigned her district positions in May.

District Superintendent John Robbins has confirmed that Henle did not drive the students back to Iowa Falls. He declined to make any further comment.

The board sanctions for ethics violations range from a public reprimand to a suspension or permanent revocation of license or authorization. The hearing is scheduled for Oct. 17.

Illinois-based companies and crews to help in Puerto Rico

WQAD News -

CHICAGO (AP) — Illinois-based companies and emergency responders are helping with the relief effort in Puerto Rico following Hurricane Maria.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Monday that the city’s fire department will send nearly two dozen firefighters, paramedics and engineers to Puerto Rico this week with stretchers, defibrillators and other supplies. They’re expected to spend 10 days there to help.

Emanuel and U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez have coordinated with Chicago-based United Airlines to deliver supplies. The city also welcomed evacuees arriving last week at O’Hare International Airport.

Gutierrez’s family is from Puerto Rico. The Democrat returned Sunday from a visit there. He says there’s still an immediate need for help from the federal government.

Gov. Bruce Rauner says over 550 Illinois National Guardsmen are on alert and ready for deployment if they’re needed.

Authorities: Man charged in fatal crash was driving 135 mph

WQAD News -

WHEATON, Ill. (AP) — Authorities say a 62-year-old charged in a deadly suburban Chicago car crash was driving about 135 mph.

Brian Thunderkick of Warrenville was charged with reckless homicide. He’s accused of rear ending a vehicle driven by Erika Villagomez of Elgin, who died.

Thunderkick’s bail was set Monday at $150,000. It was immediately unclear if he had an attorney. A message left Monday at a listed number for Thunderkick wasn’t immediately returned.

The crash happened on Saturday around 11 a.m. in Wheaton. When officers arrived, the victim’s car was engulfed in flames. Villagomez was pronounced dead at the scene.

Thunderkick is due in court on Oct. 30.

Illinois pumpkin crops make healthy return after shortage

WQAD News -

MORTON, Ill. (AP) — Agriculture experts say pumpkin crops in central Illinois are still recovering, but improving two years after heavy rain decimated area yields.

Jim Ackerman, an agriculture manager at the Nestle-owned Libby’s plant in Morton, said the 2017 crop of pumpkins has improved from last year and is looking a little better than average.

“We got started in July this year, so a good, early start,” Ackerman said. “We’re about half done with harvest, so that’s a good place to be.”

Last year, the crop returned to healthy status with average to above average yields of 22 to 23 tons per acre on the roughly 8,000 acres where Libby’s sources its main ingredient.

The plant is a 24/7 operation once the harvest begins. The facility receives 20-ton truckloads of pumpkins for processing and canning daily, and contracted crews clear about 70 to 80 acres per day.

Ackerman said he now relies on remote weather sensors and technology throughout the plant to determine when to sow and crop the harvest.

“They send out 24-hour rainfall amounts every morning, so we’re able to help farmers get planted on dry days,” Ackerman said. “It helps us to judge how the crop is doing throughout the season.”

The pumpkin harvest will continue until the first hard freeze.

Pumpkin vines were drowned by heavy rains in June 2015 during a critical stage of development that led to a widespread pumpkin shortage.

Baby born after pregnant mother was fatally shot has died

WQAD News -

CHICAGO (AP) — Authorities say a baby girl who was born after her pregnant mother was shot to death on Chicago’s far South Side has died too.

The girl’s mother, 20-year-old Charnella Lemon, was sitting in a parked vehicle in Fernwood with 33-year-old Terrence Carter on Friday when someone approached on foot and shot them both.

Lemon, of Dolton, was shot three times in the chest. She was taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where she was pronounced dead. Jenae was delivered and had been listed in critical condition.

The Cook County medical examiner’s office says the baby, Jenae Lemon, died Monday afternoon.

Authorities say Carter, of Sauk Village, was shot in the chest and pronounced dead at the scene.

No arrests have been made in the shooting.

Playtex recalls 3.6 million children’s plates and bowls because of choking hazard

WQAD News -

Playtex is recalling 3.6 million plates and bowls for children that may pose a choking hazard for anyone who uses them. The company says the clear plastic layer over the graphics can peel or bubble up from the surface.

The printed designs include cars, construction scenes, giraffes, princesses, superheroes and more. The white polypropylene plates and bowls have a colored rim on top and a non-slip bottom. “Playtex” is also printed on the bottom of the dishes.

The plates and bowls were sold separately, and together as a set.

The company has received 372 reports of the clear plastic layer bubbling or peeling. There are also 11 reports of the clear plastic being found in children’s mouths; four of those incidents included children actually choking on the plastic piece.

The impacted dishes were sold at Babies“R”Us, Target, Walmart, and other stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com from October 2009 through August 2017 for about $2.50 for a single plate or bowl and $15 for a Mealtime set.

Please stop using the dishes immediately and take them away from young children. You should contact Playtex for a full refund through the previous link or by calling 888-220-2075 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

NOTE: NO OTHER PLAYTEX PRODUCT IS AFFECTED BY THIS RECALL. More specifically, the following products are NOT AFFECTED by this recall: Toy Story 3 and Baby Einstein themed plates and bowls, Playtex Sipsters cups, 3-way plates and bowls, infant spoons, toddler utensils, and flip top snacker products.

Pages

Subscribe to Danville Telco aggregator - The latest local news